Frequently Asked Questions

Why can I not park overnight on the city streets during the winter?

     According to section 452.14 of the Vermilion City Ordinance, vehicles cannot be parked on the streets from the hours of 2:30 am to 6:00 am, from December 1 to March 31st.  The Vermilion Police Department will issue warning tickets during the first effective week for those vehicles found to be in violation of this ordinance.  Beginning December 8th, violators will be issued a $25 parking citation. 

For those residents experiencing difficulty with complying with this ordinance, exemptions are available through the police department.  Please contact Chief Hartung at (440) 967-6116 to make arrangements.


What time is curfew for the City of Vermilion?

     City Ordinance 648.09 dictates that curfew shall be enforced as follows: any juvenile aged 15 and under as well as any minor on probation from any court cannot be on any public street, sidewalk, alley or any other public grounds between the hours of 10:00 pm and 5:30 am on all school nights. This includes Sunday night if school follows on the next day. If there is no school scheduled the following day, the curfew hours are 11:30 pm to 5:30 am. For example, on a regular school week, juveniles under the age of 16 should be aware that Sunday night through Thursday night they are to be off the streets by 10:00 pm. Friday and Saturday nights would typically have an 11:30 pm curfew.

    For those  minors who are not on probation and are 16 and 17 years of age have a different curfew schedule. These minors have until 11:30 pm to return home during the school week and must stay in the home until 5:30 am. On weekends, or days that do not school following, these minors are allowed to be out until 12:00 am and must remain indoors until 5:30 am.

     Please be aware that parents and can be charged if their child(ren) is/are in violation of this ordinance. If a parent/guardian/custodian is with their child/ward after curfew hours, this will not be considered a violation of curfew. Another exemption to this ordinance is if the adult having physical custody of the minor child(ren) is not the parent/guardian/custodian, but has been duly authorized by the minor’s parent/guardian/custodian to care for the child (i.e. babysitter), then it shall not be considered a violation.  Finally, if a minor is travelling directly to or from work and home, or is at work, then the minor will not be in violation of the ordinance.

How do I get a golf cart inspected?

     Contact Chief Hartung at 440-967-6116 to schedule an appointment for an inspection.  Inspections can be scheduled Monday through Friday between 10AM and 4PM.  There is a $25.00 fee payable to the City of Vermilion at the time of the inspection.  In order to pass an inspection, you must show the following items:

  1. A valid driver’s license
  2. Proof of insurance on the golf cart
  3. At least one working brake light
  4. A rear view mirror
  5. A windshield
  6. A working horn
  7. Two working headlights
  8. A license plate light
  9. Turn signals
  10. At least one working tail light

How do I receive alerts to City emergency issues like Boil Alerts?

     Text VTOWN to 36000 to receive text alerts or go to Lorain County WENS and sign up for text or voice alerts for the City you select.  Be sure to check out the City webpage at for City related issues as well.


Who do I contact if I need to rent the Vermilion Patrolman’s Association property?

     Have an event, graduation party, or just looking for a spot for a large gathering?  The VPA property is the perfect area and only costs $100 to rent.  A covered pavilion complete with picnic tables and inside area with a kitchen, bathrooms and a small living room area make this the perfect low cost option for your event.  Call 967-6116 for more information.

How can I file an Officer complaint?

To file a complaint, contact The Vermilion Police Department by one of the following:

                1) Telephone: Call (440)967-6116 and ask to speak to a supervisor regarding a citizen complaint.

                2) Email, Mail or Fax: Please include your name and phone number so we may contact you                               about the complaint.  Providing your contact information is not required but it makes it more difficult to investigate claims.




                                City of Vermilion Police Department

                                5791 Liberty Ave

                                Vermilion, Ohio 44089


                3) In Person: You can file a citizen complaint at the police station (address listed above).



1) All complaints should be filed within 60 days of the incident.

2) The following apply to The Ohio Revised Code:

  1. Section 2917.32 (A)(3) No person shall report to any law enforcement agency an alleged                      offense or other incident within its concern, knowing that such offense did not occur.
  2. Section 2921.13(A) No person shall knowingly make a false statement, or knowingly swear or                     affirm the truth of a false statement previously made when any of the following apply:
  3. The statement is made with purpose to mislead a public official in performing his                                    function.
  4. Section 2921.15(B) No person shall knowingly file a complaint against a peace officer that                      alleges that the peace officer engaged in misconduct in the performance of the officer’s                      duties if the person knows that the allegation is false.


(These crimes are misdemeanors of the 1st degree punishable upon conviction by a fine not more than $1000.00 and/or imprisonment not more than 6 months)